Jenks Wins National Trophy Individual Rifle Match Tyler Rico Tops NTI Junior Field USAMU Praslick Captures National Team Trophies
By Steve Cooper, CMP Writer
CAMP PERRY, OHIO – Air National Guardsman, SSgt Leigh Jenks III, 37, of Underhill, Vermont, won the 2011 National Trophy Individual (NTI) Rifle Match on Tuesday, 2 August with a near-perfect score of 498-24X out of 500 possible.
NTI-NTT Individual Aggregate
COL John C. Harris, Jr., Ohio Army National Guard Assistant Adjutant General presents SSgt Leigh Jenks III, ANG, the Daniel Boone Trophy plaque, awarded to the overall National Trophy Rifle Individual champion.
As the match winner, SSgt Jenks’ name was added to the Daniel Boone Trophy (overall winner), National Guard Association Trophy (high guardsman) and the Paul J. Roberts Memorial Trophy (high U.S. Air Force) and set new National Records for each trophy.
SSgt Jenks was also added to the General Thomas White Trophy as the high Air National Guard shooter in the National Trophy Rifle Team (NTT) Match and was named to the Mountain Man Trophy as the Overall High Individual in the aggregate of the President’s Rifle Trophy, NTI and NTT matches. SSgt Jenks place 10th in the President’s match, earning him a spot in the 2011 President’s Hundred. His aggregate breakout scores were 99-4X, 100-4X, 100-6X and 199-10X in standing, sitting, prone rapid-fire and prone slow-fire, respectively.
CMP Board Vice Chair, Judith Legerski awards Tyler Rico the Golden Eagle Trophy plaque, symbolizing the National Trophy Rifle Individual Junior champion.
Tyler Rico, 17, of Tucson, Arizona was the high junior in the NTI and was awarded the Golden Eagle Trophy. Rico fired a 486-17X, topping James London, 18, of Statesville, North Carolina (483-16X) and Sagen Maddalena, 17, of Groveland, California (482-15X). Rico placed 43rd overall in the NTI. His aggregate breakout scores were 95-3X, 97-1X, 99-5X and 195-8X in standing, sitting, prone rapid-fire and prone slow-fire, respectively.
SGT Sherri Jo Gallagher, U.S. Army, won the Women’s Rifle Trophy as the highest scoring civilian or service woman in the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match. CSM Albert M. Whatmough, Ohio Army National Guard, presented the award.
Individual trophies won by participants in the NTI were:
• MSgt Justin Skaret, USMCR, 490-19X-Citizen Soldier Trophy (Reserve)
• Jeffrey Clark, 485-16X-Police Rifle Trophy (High Police)
• Dwight Becherer, 496-14X-Nathan Hale Trophy (High Civilian)
• SGT Sherri Jo Gallagher, USA, 494-14X-Assn of the US Army (High Army)
• Sgt Mark Windmassinger, USMC, 491-20X-Coast Artillery Trophy (High USMC)
• SPC Augustus Dunfey, USA, 493-17X-25th Infantry Div. Trophy (High Infantry)
• LCDR Joseph Zerby, USN, 484-10X-Cpt. Joe Earle Wyatt Trophy (High Navy)
• Larry Remsnyder, 485-9X-CMP Senior Trophy (High Senior)
• SGT Sherri Jo Gallagher, USA, 494-14X-Women’s Rifle Trophy (High Woman)
• SSG Armando Ayala, USA, 488-17X-(High Non-Distinguished)
In team competition, U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Praslick won the National Team Trophy (overall winner) with an aggregate team score of 2932-113X. Firing members of the team were SFC Lance Dement, SSG Tyrel Cooper, SSG Joel Micholick, SSG Brandon Green, SFC Grant Singley and SGT Sherri Jo Gallagher. Team captain is SSG Walter Craig Jr. and coach is SFC Emil Praslick III.
U.S. Army Team Praslick received the National Trophy for winning the 2011 National Trophy Rifle Team Match.
The National Trophy runner-up was USMC Scarlet (2922-105X), captained by GySgt Joshua Peterson and coached by GySgt Christopher Stephens. Firing members are MSgt Julia Watson, Sgt Dalton Peppers, Sgt Emily Windmassinger, SSgt Daniel Duitsman, Sgt Mark Windmassinger and Sgt Sean Morris.
The third place team was All Guard Tanner, Army National Guard (2905-99X). Firing members are SFC Marcus Merrick, MSgt Garey Diefenderfer, SSG Charles Spiker, TSgt Daniel Rodriguez, MAJ JR Treharne and SSG Kent Milam. All Guard Tanner was captained by CW4 Rick Tanner and coached by MSG William Cary.
All Guard Tanner also won the Hilton Trophy, awarded to the high Reserve Component team.
The high civilian team award, the Soldier of Marathon Trophy, was captured by Illinois State Gold (2895-85X). Firing members are John Hollinger, Konrad Powers, Derek Dattner, Kenneth Mahl, Tim Klauer and Clifford Adams.
The Arizona Juniors won the Minuteman Trophy, recognizing the first place junior team in the National Trophy Rifle Team Match.
The high junior team trophy, the Minuteman Trophy, was won by Arizona Juniors (2851-73X) captained by Phil Hayes and coached by Fredric Fadeley. Team members are Rico Tyler, Morgan Fadeley, Joseph Kendrick, Frederic Fadeley, Donnie Smith and Travis Burian.
U.S. Army SFC Grant Singley and SFC Lance Dement were awarded the Hearst Rifle Trophy plaque for winning the 2011 Hearst Doubles Team Event, setting a new national record. COL Karen D. Gattis, ARNG, presented the award.
In two-person team shooting, the Hearst Doubles US Army combo of SFC Lance Dement and SFC Grant Singley set a new record, firing an aggregate score of 592-24X. Both teammates fired 296, with SFC Dement recording 14 Xs. SFC Singley, who fired 10 Xs, was an Army team member on the previous record-setting team in 2006 with SGT Lance Hopper (592-16X).
The Freedom’s Fire Trophy, presented to the high State Association and Club 2-person teams entered in the National Trophy Junior Team Match (NTJT) was awarded to JMSG-1 (Junior Marksmanship Support Group, North Carolina) (961-29X), comprised of firing members James and Mary London and coached and captained by GySgt Christopher Stephens.
Second place went to Arizona GOLD (958-30), fired by Tyler Rico and Morgan Fadeley; coached by Phil Hayes and captained by Tyler Rico. Third place was awarded to Oregon State Shooting Association (948-23). OSSA team members are Jerika Wallace and Adam Swint. The team is coached by Carl Haggland III and captained by Jerika Wallace.
The high NTJT At-Large team was Steel Eagles 8 (836-15), fired by Steven Hahn and Christopher Kepner. The team is captained by Kepner and coached by Evan Ksenzulak.
The Col. Bill Deneke Trophy (Elihu Root Gold Medal) consisting of the Top Six Juniors in an Aggregate of the Presidents, National Trophy Individual and National Trophy Junior Team Match plus the Coach and Captain of the winning National Trophy Junior Team Match.
• Tyler Rico, 1259-39X
• James London, 1258-41X
• Sagen Maddalena, 1240-30X
• Jerika Wallace, 1235-31X
• Christopher Calumpong, 1230-17X
• Isaac Tucker, 1227-30X
• GySgt Christopher Stephens, Team Coach & Captain
The awards for the high individual performances in the National Trophy Team Match were:
• MSgt Julia Watson, USMC, 494-20X-Pershing Trophy (Overall)
• SFC Lance Dement, USA, 494-14X-Rattlesnake Trophy (Army)
• SSgt Leigh Jenks III, ANG, 488-16X-Gen. Thomas White Trophy (Air Force)
The National Civilian Rifle Team (Elihu Root Gold Medal) goes to the six highest scoring individual civilian competitors in the National Trophy Rifle Match and the captain and coach of the high Civilian Team in the NTT:
• Trenton Hering, 494-18X
• Keith Stephens, 489-20X
• Jim O’Connell, 489-19X
• Paul Kerr, 489-18X
• John Holliger, 488-17X
• Nick Till, 488-17X
• Konrad Powers – Team Captain
• John Hollinger – Team Coach
There were seven combined individual and team aggregate trophy categories awarded as follows:
• SSG Tyrel Cooper, USA, 983-41X-U.S. Forces Command Trophy (Active Army)
• LCDR Joseph Zerby, USN, 964-24X-Adm. Arleigh Burke Trophy (Navy)
• MSgt Julia Watson, USMCR, 976-34X-General Shepherd Trophy (USMC)
• Keith Stephens, 980-36X-Pietroforte Trophy (Civilian)
• Tyler Rico, 1259-39X-National Trophy Junior Service Rifle Championship
• SSgt Leigh Jenks III, ANG, 1278-47X-Mountain Man Trophy (Overall)
• Sgt Mark Windmassinger, USMC, 1265-45X-GySgt Carlos Hathcock Trophy (USMC)
• Ryan V. Vander Poppen, 1244-35X-Bushmaster Cup
• David Twibell, 1227-28X-Bushmaster Cup – Junior
Infantry Trophy Match
• USAMU Praslick, 1352-Infantry Trophy (Overall)
• All Guard - Shoaf, 1161-Celtic Chieftain Trophy (Reserve)
• PA Rifle & Pistol Assn, 1155-Leatherneck Trophy (Civilian)
• CA Grizzlies O’Connell, 1139-Junior Infantry Team Trophy
• Coalinga Rifle Club Owen, 1159-Infantry Trophy Out-of-Competition Results
• GCA Blind Hogs, 751-Infantry Trophy M1 Garand Award
National Trophy Junior Individual
• James London, 487-21X-Individual Rankings
Overall Individual Service Rifle
• SSG Tyrel Cooper, USA, 1572-57X-Overall Individual Service Rifle Aggregate
For complete results of the National Trophy Individual and Team Matches, log onto http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_matchResult.cgi?matchID=6544. To view, download or order photos from the event, log onto our photo Web site at http://cmp1.zenfolio.com.
NTI-NTT Individual Aggregate